Friday, January 10, 2014

Southwest Chicken and black bean soup

The weather has been bitter cold here lately.  We have had snow and ice and missed multiple days of school.  
Today is a different sort of day.  We live in Arkansas, so we are used to these rapid changes in weather.
It is currently 50 degrees and steadily raining with a little thunder here and there.

There is nothing like a dreary day to put me in the mood for soup.

I made this Southwest chicken and black bean soup last month and it was the first time I had made it in a few years.
I'm not sure why, now that we have had it again!
It is a simple recipe that is super delicious!

Ingredients
about 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can black beans
1/2 bag frozen whole kernel corn
1 16 oz. jar mild salsa
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3tsp cumin

Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Shred the chicken with a fork, place it back in the soup and serve. This goes great with tortilla chips.

The kids ate this up!  My husband said, "Put this at the top of the menu list!" That, my friends, means that this recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!