Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Well, hello

Hello everyone! To be honest, I have loved the break from blogging. I'm not sure what is going to happen with it going forward. Will I just pop in from time to time? Will I want to do it regularly again? I just don't know. 

I have been in a major funk since my surgery. I have been through a lot of pain and things over the last 10 years, but this surgery was something I would deem as traumatic to my psyche. I also have seasonal affective disorder, so that has been playing a role in my funk as well. Having major surgery and then having a leak in my bowel and becoming so sick was hard. However, what really did me in was the large incision and just the really tough recovery that I had. My incision has finally healed all the way in just the last couple of weeks. I had my followup at the end of January (because I got a flipping kidney stone at the beginning of January when I was originally supposed to go back) and they had to pull out a suture and that in itself was traumatizing. I'm thankful that they did that though because it was not healing in that spot at all. 

A lot of people have asked me if I feel better since my surgery. It's not a yes or no type of answer. We learned that the surgery was never going to make me feel like a new person like we thought it might. I have extra intestinal symptoms of Crohn's (fatigue, joint pain) and cutting out the diseased portion of my bowel does not make those go away. I can say that I can tell a huge difference in my bowels. I can eat so easily now. I still have to be careful of what I eat at times and I eat pretty small portions, but it is amazing to not be in pain after the first bite of something. The pain and bloating that I experienced before the surgery was terrible and I'm glad to be free from that for now.  Like I said, I'm still experiencing fatigue and joint pain, but I still have some abdominal pain and diarrhea at times. I'm hopeful that it will get better as my body adjusts. When they removed the diseased portion of my bowel, they removed the part that absorbs B12. I see my GI doctor next week and I assume that I will have to begin giving myself B12 injections. I never dreamed I would be the kind of person who gave myself injections, but I do Humira and I had to do Lovanox after my surgery. I'm hopeful that the B12 injections will help with the big time fatigue I'm having.  

So, what has been going on around here? Really, not much. I have been such a hermit this year. I am immensely happy on days where nothing is on the calendar. I love watching Victoria, listening to podcasts, doing projects at home and reading. I have already read 10 books this year! Tim and I are also very into This is Us. I love having a show with him again! When the kids were little, we would DVR and watch after they went to bed, The Sopranos, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy! Now, we are so tired at night!!! 

The kids are continuing to grow - why???? B Boy grew over 2 inches from October to February. What. In. The. World?! He is already over 5 feet! He is also now 5 inches taller than C Girl! She is a petite little thing! They are enjoying school, active at church and baseball season will be beginning soon. C Girl is still taking piano lessons and she is progressing really well! We haven't had but one sickness this winter, but now since I've typed that they will both fall sick. Ugh. I feel so bad for friends I've seen who have had kids with strep and the flu. I hate seeing kids sick! 

I have been a hermit and not doing much, but I am still doing PTO and I'm now volunteering at the church once a week. I'm on a team that plans, creates and gets everything together for crafts for Sunday school classes each week. It's been really fun so far!

I'm really looking forward to spring and summer this year. We have a few trips lined up and I am so thankful to have them to look forward to!

Tim and I went out Friday night to celebrate Valentine's Day and we had a great meal at Carrabba's. It was so nice to go out! 
P.S. I have worn nothing but leggings for months and I LOVE it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I found your blog via Kelly's Korner. I'm a 31 year old mom who also struggles with Crohns. I have a permanent ileostomy and have so much scaring on my belly. I'm going through a really tough time right now and it hurts to see someone else go through it, too...but it's also nice to see someone who's been there. I'm glad I got to check your blog. I don't blog, but I have an instagram where I post a lot about my journey. That__Kelly__girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I found your blog via Kelly's Korner. I'm a 31 year old mom who also struggles with Crohns. I have a permanent ileostomy and have so much scaring on my belly. I'm going through a really tough time right now and it hurts to see someone else go through it, too...but it's also nice to see someone who's been there. I'm glad I got to check your blog. I don't blog, but I have an instagram where I post a lot about my journey. That__Kelly__girl

    ReplyDelete