Thursday, April 18, 2013

Middle of the night ponderings

We had a tornado warning last night from about 2:30-3:30 am.  Everything ended up being fine, but when I laid back down in bed, my mind would not shut off.  

I started thinking about the Boston Marathon bombing and the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas that both happened this week.

As I was thinking about these awful things, I realized that we keep C Girl and B Boy in a bubble of protection from the world for the most part.  We rarely ever have the TV on, and we try not to talk about subjects like this in front of them if we can help it.

I know they are still pretty young, but I've been wondering- am I doing right by keeping them so sheltered? Are they going to see something awful as they get older and it completely traumatize them because they haven't been prepared?

I will work to teach them that awful things will happen and we just have to trust in Jesus.  However, we are all human and we worry.  I don't want them to be worried all the time that something bad may happen to them.

With all of the media in our faces about the awful things, we have to be extra diligent to show our children all of the good that is around us everyday.

I know a day is coming soon that I will not be able to shelter them.  

How do I prepare their sweet, innocent hearts for the reality of our world?

This world is not my home I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore
Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore

- This World is Not My Home

6 comments:

  1. I saw something the other day that stuck with me...if you child sees the tragic events on TV, point out all the people helping to them. Focus on that not the horrific events when trying to explain and make sense of it to a 6 or 7 yr old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a fine line. Kids need to know that things happen and to trust in God, but they don't necessarily need to be subjected to the most raw, graphic parts. I think it's good to know that bad things happen, so that she's not blindsided by bad things when they do occur. It's more important for her to know to turn to God during both the good and the bad and honestly the every day. I also don't want her traumatized by some of the images though. I honestly don't know how people parent without God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people do it either. It seems it would feel hopeless.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same place. I do not share that stuff with Ava because she is so sensitive it is too much for her little heart and overwhelming to her mind because she is very analytical. All we can do is pray and hope that we can keep them in the bubble as long as possible. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!