Monday, November 7, 2011

Brown Rice and Homemade Drano

I try to do the very best for my family.  I also try to stretch our dollars as far as they can go!


Lately, I have been trying to incorporate more brown rice into our diet.  My hubs is not really a big fan of it, but I have been adding 1/4 brown rice to the amount of white rice I cook.  He never seems to be able to tell the difference.  Most people want to know, why is brown rice so much better for me anyway?  Well, I did some research and this is what I found out:

  • The difference between the two lies in processing and nutritional content. If the outermost layer of a grain of rice (the husk) is removed, the result is brown rice. If the bran layer underneath are removed, the result is white rice. 
  • Several vitamins and dietary minerals are lost in this removal and the subsequent polishing process. A part of these missing nutrients, such as B1, B3, and iron are sometimes added back into the white rice making it "enriched", as food suppliers in the US are required to do by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). One mineral that is not added back into white rice is magnesium; one cup (195 grams) of cooked long grain brown rice contains 84 mg of magnesium while one cup of white rice contains 19 mg.
  • When the bran layer is removed to make white rice, the oil in the bran is also removed. A recent study has shown that rice bran oil may help lower LDL cholesterol.
  • Among other key sources of nutrition lost are fatty acids and fiber.
  • Besides this loss in nutrients, brown rice is also said to be not constipating, unlike white rice. Although this effect also depends on natural adaptation to the product by its users and whether or not the rice has been washed prior to cooking, brown rice generally allows better digestion.
Source(s):


We had some trouble with a sink in the bathroom being stopped up last week.  My friend, Kelly, mentioned that she had seen a homemade Drano recipe on Pinterest recently.  I looked it up and decided that it was cheaper and better for the environment and I might as well give it a go! It worked great!

Here is the recipe and instructions for Homemade Drano (drain declogger):




1/2 cup baking soda
1 cup vinegar
1 gallon boiling water
Carefully siphon (I used a kitchen funnel) all the baking soda down the drain. Pour in 1/2 of the vinegar, covering the hole so the fizz is forced down, not up (omit this for toilets, please!). Add the second half of the vinegar, following the same procedure. Allow to sit for 15 minutes or so, and then flush with an entire gallon of boiling water. Use again for tough ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!