Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cannonball Read- Book 36

Sooo, I have to be honest.  I was a little disappointed by this book.  I think maybe because I have heard about it all my life and how great of a book it is.  And it is a good book, but it is far from the best book I have ever read.  Another reason for my disappointment was the amount of really foul language.  Now, don't get me wrong, I let a few choice words slip now and then, but there are just some I don't say.  And they were ABUNDANT in this book.
***
It is the story of a boy named Holden Caufield and the three days after leaving the school he is flunking out of.  We learn a lot about him, his family and how he feels.  He gets drunk a lot. 
***
I think he has a lot of issues that stem from his younger brother in the book dying.  Maybe that is why he is troubled.  There are lots of thoughts on why he hates phonies, how he wants to have sex, he doesn't understand girls, he thinks movies are phony, he's really smart especially at English, and he loves his other brother and sister.  At the end of the book he mentions "getting sick" and it is presumed that he is in a mental hospital. 
***
Rating: B (It's a good book, but not what I expected)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!