Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Life Update

Hey guys. I know it has been a minute since I have blogged. A lot has happened over September, October and this half of November. Between being busy, dealing with appointments and not feeling well, I had to let go of blogging. 

The kids have been doing great in school. C Girl is flourishing in middle school. B Boy is having a fantastic fourth grade year.  His fall baseball season just ended. He had an incredible coach and it was the best season so far. He overcame some batting issues and his confidence soared under his coach. The boys got so much better by the end of the season and they are starting to look like big boy baseball players! 

I've been involved on the boards of the PTO at both schools. It has busy periods but it hasn't been too overwhelming. I haven't been as busy with church this fall. I did one Bible study for 6 weeks, but I didn't participate in the second study session. I've had to miss several things because of either baseball or health. I know this is just a season, but I miss my friends!

I finally had my MRI in September. I received the results from that and set up an appointment with my local doctor. He determined that I am still having symptoms after treatment and that my case is more complex than surgeons here are used to. I was referred to a GI doctor at the IBD Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
It took weeks, phone calls, medical records being sent, test discs being sent, records being reviewed all before I finally had an appointment. 

October was busy with school stuff, Tim attended the Master Principal Academy, Mr. Overstreet turned 100 (!!!), there were tons of fall activities (pumpkin patch, fall parties, fall carnivals, and Halloween!), and my nephew's 5th birthday party. I also found out that the girl I mentor was moving to another town. We were both so sad. I will miss her!

November has been busy itself already. C Girl had a Veterans day choir program and I have had multiple PTO meetings. I had a 4th grade mother/son movie night with B Boy. And, of course, I voted in the presidential election. I think everyone has enough opinions on that so I don't need to add anything more to it.

On November 9th, I had my appointment with Dr. Gutierrez in St. Louis. We instantly loved Dr. Gutierrez. She is sharp as a tack and so warm & friendly. We talked through my history and she had reviewed my scans. She concurs with what both GI doctors in Arkansas concluded: it's believed that there is no active disease (yay Humira for doing its job!) HOWEVER, I have scarring, strictures and fistulas from the disease being active for so many years without treatment. These are the things that are causing my continued symptoms and things that cannot be fixed with medication. Dr. Gutierrez also recommended surgery. She believes that after surgery and continuing treatment, I will feel normal for potentially the rest of my life!!!! 🎉🎉🎉 She contacted the surgeon (who is consistently on America's best doctors list!) and was able to have her come by to see me today and schedule the surgery!!! 🙌🏻 What an answer to prayer! That eliminated another trip to St. Louis.
My surgery is scheduled for November 30th and hopefully they will only have to remove 8-12 inches of bowel. Most likely, I would be in the hospital 2-4 days with travel days before and after.


I'm very excited, but also very nervous. The surgery will be in a town over 5 hours away and I will be there away from the kids. It's hard to give over complete control of your life!

I have started a new Instagram account where I share about Crohn's and how I live my life with this disease. You are welcome to come over and follow along to see that and get more awareness of this disease---    https://www.instagram.com/_lifewithcrohnsdisease_/


Here's a few photo highlights from the past couple of months-
4th Grade Musical!
B Boy pitched in some games this fall!
Our garden continued to produce until November!!!
Donuts with Dad!
We have a show that we watch together- This is Us. We LOVE it!
My sweet nephew turned 5!
Sweet Sissy Girl!
C Girl did a lot of homework at the ball fields this fall!
A cute Harry Potter and a sweet scarecrow girl!
Fun at Right Choices Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze!
Trick or treating!
Undefeated season!!! Go Crushers!
Girlie was proud of her choir shirt before the Veterans day program
The supa moon
Native American project that B Boy completed
Lots of lab work and tests this fall
We love the veterans in our family and are thankful to all the men and women who have and are serving our country!
Thankful for a great doctor visit!
Mother/Son Movie Night! We watched the new Jungle Book movie.
This past weekend, my brother took his son and my two kids for the night! Jessica and I got to hang out for an entire day alone! It was so great! We haven't been able to spend as much time together this year and I've missed her terribly!
We are switching a couple of kids soon- I'll take Parker and she will take C Girl for an aunt sleepover!
It will probably be a while post surgery before you hear from me again!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!