Saturday, March 1, 2014

Fish Tacos

Food is an important part of our family. 
We love to cook and we love to eat. 

When I was growing up, my parents cooked at home a lot, but they were not very adventurous in the kitchen. 
I studied food preparation in college and that was the first place where my eyes were opened to the joy of cooking and different kinds of food.
Tim opened my eyes to even more food experiences and we love to try new foods and recipes.

I have been creating a recipe book with all of our family recipes.
I have posted some of them on the blog and you can find them here.

Since I have had children and gotten older, healthy food has become more important to me.
Being diagnosed with IBS has also contributed to eating changes in my life.
I've learned that a lot of times, healthy food tastes better and makes you feel better than the alternatives.

In our day and age, there are many more food options than ever before.
However, knowing what is a "good" choice isn't always cut and dry.
I've read and researched and I try my best to make the healthiest choices that are within our budget.
We make good choices the best that we can, but we also enjoy treats.

A few years into our marriage, I decided that we should eat fish pretty frequently.
For the longest time it consisted of pan fried tilapia or salmon.
We have added a few more dishes since then. One of those dishes is fish tacos.
I had never eaten a fish taco until last year.
I had always been leery of them for some reason. Once I tried them, I was hooked and determined to make them at home.

We tried a few different versions before we arrived at this recipe.
There are so many ways to do fish tacos. The fish can be grilled, baked, or fried. The toppings and sauce are all up to your imagination.
Our version is just what we like. You can look around at recipes on the web and create your own fish tacos!
Fish Tacos

-4 tilapia fillets
-1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
-butter to coat pan for pan frying the fish
-1 cup prepared black beans
-Sauce:
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. taco seasoning
juice of 1 lime
-Pico de Gallo
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 sprigs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
-hard or soft shell corn tortillas

Melt butter in pan over medium to medium high heat. Coat tilapia fillets in panko crumbs and place in pan. Cook on both sides until fish flakes easily with a fork.
To prepare sauce, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, taco seasoning and lime juice. To prepare pico de gallo, combine tomato, onion, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper. 
Assembling tacos: in taco shell, add fish, black beans, pico de gallo and top with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!