Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ringing in 2013 {and a black eyed pea recipe}

I spent most of Christmas break relaxing and enjoying family. I let the house go for awhile. I read books. I ate lots of food. I've watched movies. It was so very nice. The break felt so carefree. 

On New Year's Eve, we don't go crazy, but we do build up a little excitement for the kids. We have our own little "party."
Next year, I want to actually plan some fun food and games. 
This year, we just made some chili cheese dip, popped open the sparkling grape juice and played lots of games. The kids just love it. We also had a little New Year's Rockin Eve on the TV. 
We played Creationary, Candyland, Sorry, and tabletop Foosball.  The kiddos stayed up until 10:30 when we made them go to bed because WE were tired! 

On New Year's Day, we always have creole black eyed peas for good luck and prosperity. I remember sometime early in our marriage when Tim found the recipe in the newspaper. He has made it every year since, and it is so good. 

I'm not making a "this was 2012" post, and I'm not posting resolutions. Most of the things that I hope to resolve to do are very personal to me.  

2012, for me, was a good year, but not the absolute best. Not every year will be the absolute best.  It had quite the trying times, but there were some really good things too!

I'm hoping 2013 brings many happy memories. That sounds like a very good plan to me.

Creole Black Eyed Peas
4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
bacon drippings reserved
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 can Rotel
2 cans black-eyed peas
2-3 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 bay leaf

Place reserved bacon drippings in a large pot and saute onion, bell pepper, and celery until tender. Stir in Rotel, black-eyed peas, sugar, salt, bay leaf, and half the crumbled bacon.  Cook over low heat 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!