Sunday, September 9, 2012

Unshakable

It is no secret that I struggle. I think, in our own ways, we all do.

I mention my struggles from time to time, but I don't really go into much depth.

I'm anxious.  I'm afraid of death.  I think about it a lot.

I'm even ashamed typing those words.

As a Christian, I'm not supposed to be anxious or worry about death.  I'm supposed to be free from that.

But, I'm not.

Today, in church, our pastor began the service by talking about things that were hindering us from God.  He spoke about sacrificing that thing that was hindering us.  He spoke about the victory that would come after the sacrifice.

I was stunned.

God spoke so clearly to me through that.  I've been letting my fear hinder me.  I've not been sacrificing my fear.  

Most people would say, "oh, that's just part of who you are."  But, it's not meant to be that way.

I can make the sacrifice.

But only with His help.

My sacrifice will bring victory for me.

There are so many things in life that fall apart and things we have no control over. 

We sang a song this morning and these are part of the lyrics-

Our God is, a consuming fire, 
A burning holy Flame, with glory and freedom
Our God is, the only righteous judge,
Ruling over us with kindness and wisdom

We will keep our eyes on You
We will keep our eyes on You

A mighty fortress is our God
A sacred refuge is Your Name
Your Kingdom is unshakable
With You forever we will reign


The phrase that sticks out to me the absolute most- "Your Kingdom is unshakable"

Everything in this world can fall apart- Our economy, our football team, our marriages, our jobs, and even our church. 

But NOTHING can shake His kingdom.  Nothing.

That has been such a comfort to me today.

Psalm 46

King James Version (KJV)
46 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you right now. Anxiety sucks. It absolutely keeps us from God.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!