Friday, June 18, 2010

Swimming lessons, Days 3 & 4

Day 3.  My, my, my.  It was a doozy.  B did well.  He got right in the pool and began learning everything that they were teaching.  C was a different story.  I thought she would do well since she had a lot of fun at the hotel pool.  Not the case.  She would not get in the water.  She kept going on and on about being scared and the water being too deep.  The water is 3 ft and only comes to her shoulders and her brother was standing up in the water right in front of her, but she would hear none of this.
So, I took her out of the pool and she promptly began to have a major meltdown.  I took her around the side of the building where she cried and screamed for a good 15 minutes.  She finally calmed down somewhat and we went back around.  She had informed me that she still wanted to go off the diving board (I know, crazy right?!), but I informed her that she was not going off the diving board if she did not get in the pool and at least try to touch the bottom.  She started freaking out about how hot she was, so I told her to go back over to the pool and sit with her feet in.  While she was over there, one of the instructors asked her if she wanted to get in.  I heard her telling the instructor that her mom said she couldn't get in.  I went over and told her that she indeed could get in and if she got in and touched the bottom, then I would let her go off the diving board.  She finally agreed to this.  She got in and finally put her feet on the bottom and realized she could touch and she wouldn't drown.  You should have seen her face!  She was so happy!  So was momma!

Day 4.  After realizing the water was not so scary, C got right in the water and had a GREAT time today!  I am so proud of these kiddos.  They are making great strides in learning to swim.  They have been learning to kick and move their arms.  Today they practiced swimming across the pool with the instructors carrying them on their bellies.  B even jumped off the diving board today!  It's only a few feet from the water, but some of the older kids won't jump, so I'm really proud of that boy!  They are really having a great time being in the water and I am so glad they are not fearful anymore!  We still have one more week of lessons and I know they will learn a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!