Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Swimming lessons, Day 1

Yesterday was our first day of swimming lessons.  I'm really not sure what I thought was going to happen, but I was optimistic because the kids were very excited about going.  My kids are two months away from being 4 and 5.  But of course, they have their own personalities and they are very close to each other, almost like twins.

Sooo, we get to the city pool.  It's hot.  The sun is bright.  There is no shade at the pool.  Absolutely none.  Other parents have brought chairs and umbrellas.  I know we are in for it at this point.  The other class gets finished and it's time to start our class.  The instructors take the kids over to the side of the pool to sit at the edge and hang their feet in.  Everything is ok at this point and I'm standing over with the other parents.

Then, it's time to get in the water.  They want the kids to hang on to the pool in the water.  It's 3ft so it's not very deep, but to my kids, apparently, it's terrifying.  And now the crying/screaming begins.  "Mommy! I want my mommy!  I want out of this water!"  I'm over there going, OMG.  So I walk over and try to calm C down.  It is definately not working, and now B is joining in the cry/scream fest.  Everyone is looking and the class can't start because the instructors are standing there watching.  It was very embarrassing to me.  They were the only children freaking out!  So finally I get it together, pull B out of the water because I can tell he is definately not going to calm down and we leave C there and walk to the van. 
I had to leave because there is no way they would stop crying with me there.  After quite a little fit, B decides he wants to go back so my friend walks him back to the pool. 

So, neither one of them got in the water, but they both stayed for the entire class.  And for that, I am extremely proud of them.  I know firsthand that water is terrifying.  That is precisely why I want them to learn to swim.  I do think C might do better if B wasn't with her.  I think she is more mature about it.  A lot of times we do treat them like twins, but there is a year there.  And it is times like these when it shows.  Hopefully today will be better.  I'm praying that they at least try to get in the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!