Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How to use Panko Bread Crumbs

I have always heard about panko bread crumbs on those "fancy" cooking shows...just kidding about the fanciness, it's just cooking! The cook always goes on and on about how great and crispy they are. Last week I got to go grocery shopping BY MYSELF! (whoa...I know right?!) While alone, I decided to just browse and look at things I don't typically see because I'm trying to get out of the store with my groceries, two kids and sanity! As I was browsing, I came upon the panko bread crumbs. I decided then and there that we were trying them. I bought the Italian seasoned crumbs. Now for all of you who are not familiar with these crumbs, they are made out of bread without crusts. This is what gives them the crunchiness. Most breadcrumbs are made from the crusts of bread.

So, last night our recipe was Italian style panko crusted tilapia fillets. These fillets were dredged in flour, dipped in egg and then coated in the bread crumbs and fried in oil in the skillet. Let me just say that the cooks were not lying...these were sooo crispy and delish! My kiddos love fish and as usual they gobbled it up!

So, this is my first "new" experiment of the year. Next up, beef bourguignon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!