Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lessons in Yeast

Well, I have been trying for sometime to make breads and rolls using yeast. I did what the recipes said, but the bread never rose. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. So, I did a little research. I learned a little bit about "proofing." See, you must proof your yeast, yet the recipes did not talk about this at all. I guess they assume you already should know this tidbit of information. Proofing is sprinkling the yeast over warm water and adding about a teaspoon of sugar. The yeast thrives off of carbohydrates. After 10 minutes, the yeast should have doubled in size and look like it is creamy and/or bubbly. Another bit of information I learned is that yeast rises the best in temperatures around 85 degrees and high humidity always helps.


Needless to say, after I gained all of this very useful information, I made another batch of yeast rolls. They rose wonderfully!
I hope that this information helps anyone who is struggling with yeast as I was!

Some Banana muffins I made Saturday as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!