Friday, January 13, 2012

Guacamole Recipe and more...

This post is gonna be SO random, y'all.


First, I'm very excited that it is a 3 day weekend.  I get to sleep in on Saturday AND Monday! Yay!


I went grocery shopping at Aldi this morning and I'm working on comparing what I spent there versus what I would have spent at Walmart.  I'll let you know what I come up with!


I am making guacamole for Tim tonight.  It brought to mind when I found out the trick to cutting and scooping out an avocado and I thought I would share that with you.
How to scoop out an avocado:

  • First, you take a knife and cut around the middle of the avocado, where the seed is.
  • Next, you pull the avocado apart.  The seed will stay in one half.
  • Use the knife and pull the seed out.
  • Next, using a spoon, scoop out the soft part of the avocado into a bowl! Super easy!
And since we are on the subject of avocados, here is my guacamole recipe:


2-3 avocados
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ripe roma tomato, chopped
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Scoop avocado into a bowl.  Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper.  Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.



I've also learned this week a lot about being a parent in a school district.  Of course, my case is a little different since my husband also works in the district.  We are fortunate to be in one of the best school districts in our state.  Lately, however, there have been some issues in our district up for vote and these issues have caused a lot of strife in our community.  It is unfortunate how far it has gone and it saddens me.  I know that not everyone will always be happy with decisions.  It is the way of the world.  What needs to be accomplished is what is best for the children.  But who determines what exactly is right?  Not everyone agrees on what is right.  With both of these issues, there have been two very distinct sides.  Our district is very large and trying to do the right thing and the most logistically correct thing and the most politically correct thing and keeping to the laws?  It is very hard.  The one thing I do know is that my child is going to get a stellar education in our school district no matter the outcome/solution of both of these issues.  All children will.  That's really the bottom line.


Also, when I started getting on Twitter, I only had like two people on there that I knew IRL (in real life).  So now, I have many more people on there from real life, so the dynamic is changing.  Not only do I go there to "socialize" but I also get to talk to local friends and others who aren't so local, but still are on there.  Facebook was always my "people I know" thing and Twitter was my "people I know online" thing.  So, it is a little different now that my Twitter is changing some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!