Sunday, August 29, 2010

Katrina

I'm not sure that I will ever hear that name and not remember what happened.  To me, it is like September 11, 2001.  I will not forget.  I had just had my first child.  My baby girl was born on August 16th, 2005.  Thirteen days before Katrina's landfall.  

I just remember watching the news so much and seeing the destruction and loss.  And seeing the people who were trapped and suffering.  It was heartbreaking.  I hope we don't see that happen again.  I know things happen like this all over the world but it seems so much harder to see when it is so close to you.

I've seen a picture slideshow of places in New Orleans right after the hurricane and how they look now.  So much work has been done and so many things are restored.  It makes me so happy.  Yet, there are still things that will never be the same. 

One of the things that is so great about living in this country is that when bad things happen, it can destroy many things.  The one thing it cannot destroy is our spirit.  My prayers are with the people of New Orleans today as we reflect and remember what happened.  I also remember the goodness.  The goodness of all the people around here, that loaded up huge trucks of supplies and drove right down there to help people out.  People and churches who went there to help tear down and rebuild.  So, I do remember that a bad thing happened, but with it, I remember so much good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!